Erik Helgesen Gulset
med/Emigrated on: "CLAUS THOMMESEN", departed from Skien May 25th to
Utreist til/Emigrated to: Oconomowoc Township, Waukesha Co.,
Erik Helgesen was born April 26, 1801 on Kausanrød
under Grini farm in Gjerpen. Parents were Helge Eriksen and Jøran Svendsdatter. Helge and Jøran married Sep 18, 1793 in Gjerpen.
Erik married Anne Kirstine Pedersdatter
In 1825 we find Helge Eriksen, age 55, living as a cottager under Gulset. His wife Jøran was 51 years old, and they had the children Erik, age 23, Anne, age 22, Gunnil, age 17, Hans, age 10 and Lars, age 7.
Helge had moved to Gulset in 1807, when he got a lease for the place Hasledalen under Gulset. In 1849, when he emigrated, Erik sells his small cottage, Ebbes plass, to Knud Pedersen for the sum of 400 Speciedaler.
Erik and Anne Kirstine had the following children:
1. Karen Gurine, b.
2. Georgine, b.
3. Helge, b.
4. Peder, b. 1838. In the census of 1845 he is listed as “insane”.
5. Carl, b.
6. Anne Karine, b.
The following information has been given me by David L. Johnson.
Erik Helgeson (1801-1851)
Anne Kirstine Pedersdatter (1805-1852)
Helgeson family can be traced back to Erik Helgesen’s parents in the Gjerpen
parish in Telemark in the 1801 census. Helge Eriksen was living on the Grinie
Søndre gård with his
wife, Gjøran Svendsdatter
and three oldest daughters, Hedevig, Torine, and Guri. The next record of the family is in the
1825 Gjerpen census with the family living on a
cotter’s farm named Kaasa (in the valley Hasledalen) that was part of the Gulset
farm. That cotters farm seemed to
remain in the family until the last son left for
to census information, by 1835 Anne’s parents were living with Anne and
Erik on a cotter’s farm named, Moen under the Gulset
farm. By 1845, Erik’s parents
were living on the family farm with the younger brother, Svend
Helgeson and Erik and Anne lived on another
cotter’s farm under Gulset (Nyhuus). By 1845,
Anne’s parents had died (Gurine in 1836 and Peder in 1843) so they were no longer living with the
couple. Erik’s parents lived
until after the Erik and Anne had left for
siblings and their birth dates were: Hedevig
(1795), Turine (
Helgeson and Anne Kirstine
Pedersdatter had five children that came with them
Jørgine (Gina) (
Helge (Henry) (
Peder (1838 - 1853?)
Helgeson was the last member of this family to
remain in Oconomowoc (he was recorded there in the 1860 census). On
daughter, Sara married her first cousin, Joe Evenson,
and they ran the Harald Evenson
farm mentioned earlier. Henry’s
daughter, Annie married Oscar Omit of Iola and they ran an automobile repair
shop in Iola and are buried in the
Carl Helgeson married a Nicoline Pemmer in Hudson, WI and he ran a livery business there for a few years. In 1909 Carl and his family moved to the Iola area to live with their oldest son, Adolph, who owned the farm near Iola. Carl and Nicoline had four other children; Marie Ann who married an Albert Swenson, William Erick (Willie) who moved to Minnesota, Clara Nicoline who married a man named Wallace Halvorsen, and John Edmond (called Ed) who married one of Thor Helgeson’s daughters (Clara Rosena). This is the same Thor Helgeson who was the educator and raconteur and whose earlier books of the area were the basis for Malcolm Rosholt’s book, “From the Indian Land”. Ed changed the family last name to Helgerson (added an R) in 1916 (while he was living in the Dakotas) and he later returned to Iola where he worked as butcher for Abe Katz. Ed Helgerson can be seen pictured on page # 148 of the book “A History of Iola, Wisconsin” by the Iola Historical Society, (Worzalla Publsihing Co., Stevens Point, WI; 1978).
The youngest Helgeson daughter, Anne Karine, married the farmer living next door to the Evenson farm - Elias Johnson (Indlæggen). Elias Johnson (1842 – 1914) was an 1857 immigrant from Gausdal, Norway, a Civil War veteran (42nd Wisconsin, Co. A), and a shopkeeper in the village of Scandinavia (1874-1900). He also owed what would later be known as the Sylvan Ridge Farm, a 160-acre tract located immediately south of the village limits of Iola. In 1905, Elias sold a small plot in the northeast corner of his farm to the Our Savior’s Lutheran Church to be used as a cemetery (which is located today on Highway 49 just south of the Iola limits). Anne K and Elias Johnson’s children included John Elvin (Elvin), Alfred and Alma (twins), and Henry Curtis (Curtis). Alfred (b. 1882) later took over the Sylvan Ridge farm in 1917 and ran it until his death in 1949. Alma Johnson married Anton Dahle, who once ran an electric company in Iola, and Elvin remained a rather reclusive individual who lived in a small house on the Johnson farm. Curtis (b. 1890) attended Rush Medical School (Chicago) and married another doctor from his medical school class named Eva Frazier. They were physicians in Madison, WI for many years, and Curtis also belonged to the Army reserve and served in both WW I and WWII. He retired at the rank of Lt. Colonel, and at one time during his military service, he was General Douglas MacArthur’s family physician while they were in Australia - after the retreat from the Philippines and during the planning for the final assault on Japan. In retirement, Dr. Curtis Johnson later moved to Eugene, Oregon from which his wife’s family was well known as original pioneers. He died in 1967 and the home he owned with Dr. Eva Frazier Johnson is now a museum in Eugene (see web site - http://www.smjhouse.org).
Anne Karine Helgeson (Johnson) can be seen pictured on Page # 6 of Malcolm Rosholt’s book, “From the Indian Land”. She is the woman seated in the center of the front row. In addition to Anne K. Helgeson in that picture, the last four people on the far right in the back row of that same photograph are related as well. The fourth from the right is Alma Johnson (Anne Ks daughter), then to her right is Clara Frogner (Anne K’s niece), then Clara’s husband, John Frogner, and finally Karen Gurine Evenson (Anne K’s sister and Clara’s mother).
2003 - Skien Genealogical page - by Jan Christensen